Welcome ROCmommas, ROCpoppas, and Friends!

Have fun with your kids - that's what it's all about. If you're looking for fun places to go in Rochester, NY (ROC), awesome
crafts to make, and yummy treats to bake with your kids - as well as some ideas for Date Nights - then you've come to the
right place. Welcome to ROCmomma. Happy reading, and please share your comments. Thank you!

Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Weepeats: Save on Clothes and Toys for Kids

Many Rochester-area parents and grandparents have known about it for a while. Others will experience it for the first time. Some are sellers, some are buyers, others are both. But one thing is for certain: the bargains at Weepeats are unbeatable.

Weepeats is a bi-annual consignment sale held at the Henrietta Fair & Expo Center, 2965 East Henrietta Road, Henrietta, NY. The spring sale features spring and summer clothing and gear while the fall sale features fall and winter items. Shoppers will find clothing for preemies to preteens (up to size 16 Girls and size 20 Boys), books, CDs, DVDs, toys, exersaucers, strollers, swings, high chairs, and more.

Build up your child's back-to-school wardrobe, get a head start on some Christmas or Hanukkah toys, or pick up baby gear to fill your little one's nursery...THIS WEEKEND.

Admission is $3 per adult (age 18+) on Friday, September 14 from 9 a.m. - 6 p.m.; $1 per adult on Saturday, September 15 from 9 a.m. - 4 p.m.; and FREE for the Half-Off Sale on Sunday, September 16 from 9 a.m. - noon. While kids can enter for free, it is probably best to shop without them. It can be overwhelming for them (and you!), and then lines can be a bit long.

Rest assured that you will find high-quality, like-new items. There is a whole behind-the-scenes process that goes into action to ensure this guarantee before you even think about browsing the racks. This year, I decided to register as a consignor and have gotten a crash course in that process.

It all started when I brought seven storage totes of clothes up from the basement, along with a dozen garbage bags full of toys. Next came the sorting. Sorting was a nearly impossible mix of nostalgia and scrutiny. Yes, I was sentimental as I remembered my chunky eleven-pound newborn looking truly adorable in his blue "Chicks Dig Me" onesie, visiting a lake near our house for the first time. But then I noticed the faded yellow spit-up stain on the left shoulder, and into the "donate" pile it went.

Sure, I probably could have tried to sell that stained onesie - it was such a small stain - but I doubt it would have gotten past the inspectors. All of the clothing and shoes are checked over by an inspector before they are allowed on the selling floor. No rips, stains, or missing buttons allowed. As for the toys, all parts must be present and in good working order; all electronic toys must have new batteries installed; and all consignors are responsible to check recall lists before bringing items to Weepeats.

As I mentioned, it truly is a process. I sorted, searched the play room for missing pieces, matched outfit components, scrubbed toys, washed and pressed clothes, priced and tagged it all, sorted by category and age group, and then finally packed the car. I am a procrastinator, and if my husband had not helped on the last night, I might not have gotten any sleep. Thank you, ROCpoppa!

The funniest thing about this whole project was the reactions from my boys when I was sorting through baby toys. My boys are five- and two-and-a-half-years-old, and they both went crazy for infant toys. My Kindergartener raced around the house pushing an activity walker - intended for 9 month old babies - and my pre-schooler rekindled his love for the Bumbo seat. Ah, memories:
I managed to sneak the activity walker into the car, but the Bumbo has a recall. So I'll hold onto that until I receive my repair kit and then sell it at the spring sale. By the way, if you have not heard about the most recent Bumbo recall, the seats MUST be used on the floor at all times, and must have a safety belt installed, which is available by requesting a repair kit.

I'll be dropping off my items tonight, and here is a view from inside my van. We had to fold and stow the third-row seats to make enough room.
 This is what the trunk looks like. Wish me luck!

Get ahead of Black Friday and start holiday shopping this weekend! Maybe I'll see you there. As always, thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blogging tips